Maui-based Green Building LLC helps homeowners, developers, architects, designers and engineers to design and build high performance buildings and homes in Hawaii.
With its team of LEED Accredited Professionals and Certified Energy Raters, Green Building can assist with getting a building certified under LEED, the U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGBC) green building rating system, or provide expertise to help achieve sustainable and energy-efficient designs and building operations. A focus on Hawaii-specific projects brings insight into the particular opportunities and challenges when building in Hawaii. Our team is dedicated to finding the right solutions for cost effective green strategies that meet or exceed the project requirements.
Whether looking at new construction or existing buildings, residential or commercial, Green Building LLC is dedicated to promoting high performance buildings and sustainable construction in Hawai‘i.
John Bendon, Founding Principal
John Bendon is proud to be at the forefront of the green building movement in Hawaii. John grew up in Maui and left the islands for school and work in Colorado where he met his wife Kristi. A passion for ocean activities and the desire to raise a family in Hawaii brought John and Kristi back to the islands. Since their return, John has accomplished a number of “firsts” in the green building field. From working on the first LEED Homes project in the State and first LEED school project on Maui, to being the first Green Rater and HERS rater on Maui and first round of LEED Homes APs in the State, John is pushing the green envelope in all directions. As the previous Vice Chair of the USGBC Hawaii Chapter, John works to promote ecological stewardship and leadership across the building industry, as well as to bring more educational opportunities to Hawaii.
“I’m happy that green building found me! It is the perfect combination of my undergraduate Environmental Studies Degree and extensive background of building and real estate that came together in one of my master’s program classes. I love what I do and love that our efforts really do make Hawaii a better place.”
Designations, Certifications, and Education:
- LEED AP- Started the first LEED specific consulting firm on Maui
- LEED AP Homes- First round of Homes APs in the State
- Certified Energy and HERS Rater- First on the island of Maui and one of just several in the State
- LEED Green Rater- First on Maui and one of just several in the State
- NAHB Green Rater- First in the State
- EPA 608 Certification for air conditioning
- BA Environmental Studies from CU Boulder
- Masters in Real Estate and Construction Management from DU (ongoing)
Community Outreach and Awards
- Vice Chair of the US Green Building Council Hawaii Chapter- www.usgbchawaii.org/
- Sustainable Living Institute of Maui Steering Committee Member- www.sustainablemaui.org/
- Pacific Business New Forty under 40- Class of 2008 award for outstanding young business leaders in the community.
Kristi Bendon, Office Manager
Kristi Bendon holds a B.S. in Finance and a B.A. in Spanish for the Professions from CU Boulder. After graduating, she worked as a financial analyst, real estate consultant, and commercial property manager before pursuing her post-graduate degree. She currently manages the following areas for Green Building LLC: human resources, accounting, taxes, marketing, and new business development.
Kristi has been a part of Green Building LLC from the initial stages of the company. She taught Spanish for several years after completing her M.A. in Spanish Literature, but is taking time off from teaching to help this family company grow and raise their two young boys.